Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Trusting the process

Well, we're mid-way through week 3 in this 6FIT journey and I'm both super motivated and a bit discouraged, if it's even possible to be both at the same time.
My team took the lead and I came in second for overall points in week one. For week two, I tied for first place. Very exciting! So why am I feeling a bit sad?

Let me break it down.
Here are the things I'm doing:

  • Avoiding white flour and sugar
  • Eating mostly vegetables, fruits and whole grains
  • Making healthy, homemade meals for my family every day
  • Feeling stronger and more energetic
  • Working out at least 5 times a week, sometimes more, never less
  • Drinking SO much water
  • Paying more attention to getting enough protein and carbohydrates every day
  • Getting plenty of sleep
  • Treating myself to something sweet once a week so I don't feel deprived
Here are the things I'm NOT doing:
  • Losing any weight at all
  • Feeling better in my clothes

I know, I know-It takes time to change your body. And it's winter so our mammalian  bodies are programmed to store energy for the cold months ahead. Not to mention that there are certain days every month that some of us feel, well, just bloated and huge. 
My rational mind knows all of this. However, there's a totally irrational part of me that wonders what the heck I have to do to take off a few pounds. I've even had a brief (very brief) bout of jealousy at friends who've had the stomach bug. Yup-I'm nuts!

The difference for me this time is that I'm refusing to give in to the desire to just go back to bed or curl up on the couch and mope. The way I'm eating and the exercise I'm getting are definitely good for me and for my family. My rational mind says "You Go Girl!. (That other part of me is wondering if Ben & Jerry are free tonight.)

Like I said, super-motivated and a bit discouraged.  If I'm going to be a good "spokesmodel" I've got to tell it like it is, right?

So, please excuse my not-so-upbeat post for today. Don't worry Team 2-I won't let you down. I'm WAY too competitive for that =)

Here's to trusting the process!
Mari-Chris


1 comment:

  1. Hey Mari:

    First off you're not good you're an excellent spokesmodel!!! It takes a lot of guts to admit when you're doing well, and when you're not at your best.

    I wouldn't be surprise if the reason you're not seeing the change is that I bet you're starting to build up muscle, and being more buffed, and toner. So the changes in your body is just catching up. If anything it's a matter of timing to see the results of our hard work.

    And I can totally relate to what you're saying, last week, I thought I had a good week 2, sticking to the plan and everything. Only when I hopped on the scale, the scale did not budge, and wasn't really to happy about it. I'm not on speaking terms with it at the moment. ;) :)

    Though I felt discourage at the time, the thing I had done to turn that funk around is to remember to not just trusting in the process, but trusting yourself too.

    You clearly have a strong desire to do well, and committed to the program, and that's evident in your valuable contributions to the wk 1 win, and being a co-week 2. It's just a bump on the road. I know by then end of the program you're going to kick butt big time.

    So yep, week 2 may be a slight klunker for us (by our definititon), but we'll all pull through it together. And just remember you have your fellow 6Fitters to lean on anytime you need us. :)

    Sincerely

    Robert

    ReplyDelete