Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Are you ready for some football?


We got our game on 6FIT style here in the Russell house this weekend!
I'm pretty sure this would have looked quite different if it weren't for this challenge and "sugar-free Sunday" but we all enjoyed a feast and nobody felt deprived at all. My favorite moment? On the way to a concert here in Boston, my oldest daughter stopped by with her college friends to catch some of the game. Squeezed into our tiny TV room were all 5 of us plus 3 very tall college guys munching on celery sticks and homemade guacamole on organic blue corn chips. No junk food in sight. So satisfying!


And that wrapped up week 1 of the 6FIT challenge-the "water cleanse" week. We could eat whatever we wanted last week, but we could only drink water. The only exceptions were 1 small cup of coffee before noon and 1 glass of red wine at night (per Michael Pollan, of course). Not so hard really, although I missed coffee. Believe it or not, I actually had much more energy without the afternoon caffeine infusion but I have to admit that I just love drinking coffee-the taste, the texture, the smell, the whole experience. So I'm very happy to be enjoying my second cup of coffee as I type this, decaf of course. =)


And now on to week 2: "Real Foods" only. That means if I can't hunt it, gather it or grow it, I can't eat it.
For the most part, I'm not worried at all. We already eat pretty healthy around here. Giving up bread and crackers is the only challenge I anticipate. And the foods of the week are kale and tangerines/clementines, both of which I love! We get one "immunity" food and I'm definitely going with coffee! To make it a little more challenging I'm going to try to go completely decaf. I tried half-decaf this morning and boy did I get off to a slow start. We'll see how this goes. I may need a bit of encouragement on this one.


I also want to try some different classes this week. Last week I did Zumba with Maeve and CardioKickFIT with Dinna-I loved them both!
Already this week I tried BalletFIT for the first time. Very tough class but great energy and fun to remember the ballerina dreams of childhood. We actually did many of the same things I watch my 7-yr-old do in her classes, so I was feeling some pressure. Let's just say it was a humbling experience and leave it at that, shall we?


I know most people have a hate/hate relationship with Mondays but, for me, Tuesday is the weekly thorn in my side. I start off Monday mornings in high gear with a to-do list 2 pages long and 6 child-free hours to shred it. Even at my most productive I don't have a snowballs chance to get through the whole list, but hope springs eternal. Somewhere around 2:00 I start to panic because the kids will be home in less than an hour and when they walk through the door, productivity comes to a screeching halt. 
So now it's Tuesday and my little guy does not have school on Tuesdays. So much for the to-do list. Mostly, I spend Tuesdays in a state of anxiety about all of the things that I am NOT accomplishing. Pretty sad, huh?
In the spirit of DanceFIT and having a healthier mental state to go with my healthier body, I'm going to go build silly things and do puzzles with my William. Then maybe he can come do something super fun with Mommy...like folding laundry ;-)


Here's to healthy minds and bodies!
~M-C


PS Dear Tom Brady, please don't speak. You are much classier with your mouth closed. We still love you though. GO PATRIOTS!






No comments:

Post a Comment