Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Funny the things you learn...and RE-learn!

Things I've (re)learned so far on this 6FIT journey with DanceFIT studio:

  • Water is good!
  • Stretching is essential after exercise.
  • The older you get, the more you need to stretch.
  • Grapefruit is yummy!
  • If you really pay attention, your body will actually tell you exactly what it needs.
I realize it is only day 3 but I feel like I'm already reaping the benefits of this program. I thought keeping hydrated was going to be my biggest challenge but, so far, it has been a breeze. It's almost like I've been dehydrated for so long and now my body is making up for lost time.

And then there's the exercise. I kicked off the program with a Monday night double-header; first an hour of Zumba with Maeve and then 45 minutes of Cardio kickFIT with Dinna. I'm not lying when I say that I had to crawl to the 6FIT kick-off meeting after the second class. Tuesday morning I was surprised that I was not sore at all. I felt a bit tight, but otherwise fine...until last night. By bedtime last night I could hardly climb the stairs. Every muscle in my legs and core had just decided to freeze and it was all I could do to crawl into bed. Now I know I haven't been keeping up with exercise much lately, but I'm no couch potato. This morning, when I still could hardly move, it dawned on me that I had not done much stretching after class on Monday. I used to call my husband "old man" when he insisted on endless stretching after our runs and he would always say "you'll understand someday." I guess that day is here. I definitely don't feel old, but apparently this body just doesn't bounce back like it used to and I can't expect it to keep performing for me without a bit of TLC. So, I stretched, and stretched, and stretched some more, and now my body is thanking me by functioning normally again. Phew! I did NOT want to have to cancel my class tonight. I almost forgot how much I love to Zumba!

As far as eating goes, I'm rocking this healthy thing. 
My son finally succeeded in giving me his cold (such a generous boy he is) and I've been pretty sick since Monday night. I've never really been a fan of grapefruit but this week it has been my best friend.
I just can't get enough citrus-hello vitamin C!

And without a second (third, fourth...) cup of coffee to get me through the afternoon, I've actually avoided that mid-afternoon zombie-time when all I want is a nap. Who knew? Okay, I knew, but old habits die hard.

Breaking the sugar cycle has certainly helped. I haven't had anything with added sugar since Saturday and I'm not craving it at all. 

All I'm craving is citrus fruit and more water. I guess my body knows what it needs. I just have to get better at listening.

So here's to listening to your body and taking care of yourself!

And check back in soon!
~Mari-Chris

2 comments:

  1. You are doing amazing!!! I think we ALL were crawling out of the studio Monday haha!!! Glad you still love Zumba!!! See you tonight~Maeve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have fallen in love with grapefruit all over again, too!! And way to go on the double header - that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete